Sunday 10 July 2016

#GoPoethick2016: A New Sermon by Chika Jones

As we dine on hopes, and wine on wishes. As we paint beautiful images of #GoPoethick, and leave you to anticipate this great event, enjoy this poem by Chika Jones titled "A New Sermon''.
 Chika Jones is an award winning poet and Engineer. 

A NEW SERMON 

“You are a woman,
Forty three years old,
Yet you are not married,
What kind of God do you serve?


So I opened those words,
and found a woman,
gang-raped by men,still beaten for adultery in Saudi,
her humiliation coming full circle,
and in the middle of that circle I found,
laws aimed at reducing women to something less,
and when I read those laws,
I found men born of women,
unable to stand the sight of their mothers and sisters
free,
Strong and equal,
and when I opened up those men,
I found me,
Seated in the back of the bus,
unable to stand up and say to the preacher:


” A woman not being married, is not a sign of failure”
“Women deserve everything men are given”
“A woman is not less than a man”.


Chika Jones
 We are still calling on sponsors and supports for the upcoming GoPoethick festival. Contact us: Gopoethick.blogspot.com
Mail us at Gopoethick@gmail.com +2348107815004, +2348067436786

No comments:

Post a Comment